At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We're committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that's welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us. The Flight Management System (
FMS) team at Boeing Commercial Airplanes
is seeking passionate and energetic multi-disciplinary Associate Avionics Engineers
to join the team in defining and building the future of flight at Everett, WA
, Renton, WA
and Seattle, WA
. The FMS team is looking to fill multiple openings at the associate level. These are high visibility, high performance roles with the opportunity for rapid technical advancement and leadership development. The Flight Management System
(FMS) is a fundamental component of a modern transport airplanes. An FMS is a specialized computer system that automates a wide variety of in-flight tasks, reducing the workload on the flight crew to the point that modern transport aircraft no longer need to carry flight engineers or navigators. The FMS provides and/or automates Flight Planning, Datalink, Guidance, Navigation, Performance and Thrust Management functions.
As an FMS specialist, you will work under the guidance of experienced engineers to understand and operate the FMS, review and develop FMS functional and performance requirements, test, verify & validate the FMS, document, review and resolve system issues/bugs, conduct re-tests, understand and identify potential safety issues, non-conformances, and directly support and participate in development, test and certification activities.
You can expect to interface with engineers from all FMS functions, engineers in multiple disciplines such as hardware, software, interfacing airplane systems such as airplane displays, flight control computers, auto throttle, communications management (HF/VHF/SATCOM), navigation systems (GPS, inertial, radio), Engine Controls, Stall Management, Weather Radar, Ground Proximity Warning System and even the in-flight entertainment system!
You will work directly with a global, multicultural team of engineers as well as pilots, airline customers, suppliers, regulators, internal stakeholders such as lab operations, flight operations, logistics, financial operations, features strategy, various business units and leadership for all Boeing commercial and military airplane programs.
You will conduct testing at Boeing airplane systems laboratories which house airplane simulators as well as at Boeing Field to support flight tests. Domestic and international travel may be required to support activities such as airplane customer visits, airshows and flight tests. You may even be asked to support exotic activities such as flight tests to the Polar Regions and to remote locations anywhere in the world.
On the FMS team, we believe the best way to learn about the FMS is to interact with and operate it. The Flight Management System is the primary interface of the crew with cockpit systems in order to perform its mission. Therefore, to develop and test the system means to perform pilot operations, think like a pilot, test in our virtual simulators, on our system test benches, airplane simulators and participate in flight tests where you can see and "feel" the FMS fly the airplane. To that effect, we strongly emphasize that persons starting on our team begin their journey in this area. We are confident in our ability to provide career experiences that will keep you excited and make you want to be an FMS specialist! Position Responsibilities:
- Develop and validate hardware and software system functional and software requirements
- Support the design of hardware, software and interface specifications
- Tests and validates to ensure system designs meet operational and functional requirements
- Develop tests to evaluate system
- Monitors supplier performance to ensure system integration and compliance with requirements
- Solves problems concerning fielded hardware and software over the entire product lifecycle
- Researches specific technology advances for potential application to company business needs
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a "US Person" as defined by 22 C.F.R. 120.15 is required. "US Person" includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
This position is expected to be 100% onsite. The selected candidate will be required to work onsite at one of the listed location options. Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Bachelor's degree or higher in an ABET accredited course of study in engineering, computer science or related field.
- Experience in an engineering discipline.
Typical Education/ Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree or higher from an accredited course of study in electrical , aerospace and computer engineering is preferred.
- Avionics, Systems Engineering and/or FMS familiarity
- 2+ years of aerospace industry experience with Avionics, Flight Management System and Electrical Systems
- Engineering experience using excellent verbal and written communication skills to communicate with leaders and colleagues in a multi-skill operations environment.
- Experience with hardware and software design
- Experience with model based development tools
- Experience working with cross functional teams
- Previous aerospace work experience
- Piloting experience (private/commercial pilot's license)
- Familiarity with engineering processes and methods
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Knowledge of FAA / EASA certification
- Strong passion or interest in aviation and space
- Microsoft Flight Simulator/VATSIM experience (yes, the game)
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 2 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. Master). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard. Relocation:
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility. Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies . Shift:
This position is for 1st shift Union:
This role is union represented
At Boeing, we strive to deliver a Total Rewards package that will attract, engage and retain the top talent. Elements of the Total Rewards package include competitive base pay and variable compensation opportunities.
The Boeing Company also provides eligible employees with an opportunity to enroll in a variety of benefit programs, generally including health insurance, flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts, retirement savings plans, life and disability insurance programs, and a number of programs that provide for both paid and unpaid time away from work.
The specific programs and options available to any given employee may vary depending on eligibility factors such as geographic location, date of hire, and the applicability of collective bargaining agreements. Please note that the salary information shown below is a general guideline only. Salaries are based upon candidate experience and qualifications, as well as market and business considerations. Summary pay range:
Export Control Requirements:
- Everett: $85,850 - $116,150
- Renton: $85,850 - $116,150
- Seattle: $85,850 - $116,150
U.S. Government Export Control Status: This position must meet export control compliance requirements. To meet export control compliance requirements, a "U.S. Person" as defined by 22 C.F.R. 120.15 is required. "U.S. Person" includes U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee. Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.