As a member of the North American Central Engineering Group reporting to the Project Engineering Manager, the Electrical Project Engineer will work on capital projects including new installations and modifications and is responsible for all electrical equipment components and systems. This person must have extensive working knowledge of design, function, implementation, maintenance, and sustainability of all electrical & controls equipment components and systems in a heavy manufacturing environment.
The ideal candidate will have 3-5+ years of experience and be equally capable of performing detailed engineering work with instrumentation, PLC, power distribution and equipment integration. This role will be based in our plant in Prattville, AL.Position Responsibilities
The position responsibilities outlined above are in no way to be construed as all encompassing. Other duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may be required and/or assigned as necessary.
- Supervise electrical design including plant layout, equipment arrangement, piping and instrumentation, and plant utilities, balancing function and installed cost according to industry best practices;
- Supervise power distribution system design including electrical equipment layout, single line diagrams, and wiring schedules;
- Supervise automation system design including PLC programming, AC and DC drives, servo drives, and operator interface (HMI) systems;
- Coordinate electrical designs with other engineering disciplines, and be able to work cross-functionally among the same (civil, structural, mechanical, thermal, piping, etc.)
- Develop specifications and purchase electrical power distribution equipment to align with company standards and best practices, including: transformers, switchgear, disconnects, motor control centers and controls for process equipment, material handling equipment, complex machinery, fluid systems (hydraulic, pneumatic, and high pressure water), material conveyance systems, dust collection systems, storage silos, tanks, pumps, and valves;
- Develop specifications and purchase automation components to align with company standards and best practices, including: PLC system hardware, sensors, machine safety equipment, drives and motor controllers, field instruments, control valves, and HMI software & hardware
- Prepare scopes of work for electrical & controls installations; Supervise and participate in electrical system installation, checkout, equipment startup, and turnover to plant;
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of equipment, machine design standards and specifications, and machine safety design, including ANSI, ASTM, FM, NFPA, and IEC
- Knowledge of NFPA-70 and NFPA-70E
- Knowledge of OSHA requirements and standards
- Knowledge of database systems for process control applications (preferred).
- Installation and strong programming capability with Rockwell Automation PLC systems, including PLC-5, SLC, CompactLogix, ControlLogix, and MicroLogix controllers, programming software, and Wonderware HMI and Historian server/client systems
- Working knowledge of mainstream automation communication systems, such as Rockwell Automation Ethernet/IP, ControlNet, DeviceNet, and Siemens ProfiNet and DriveCliq
- Installation, setup, and troubleshooting knowledge of AC and DC drives, including Rockwell Automation Powerflex AC drives, Kinetix 6 servo drives, Siemens MasterDrive, Sinamics S120 and Simotics motors, and specialized large AC and DC drives and motors
- Demonstrated advanced skills with personal computers and strong aptitude with MS Office Suite (especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) and advanced drawing skills with AutoCAD
- Strong interpersonal and written/oral communication skills with the ability to relate well and cooperate with others to effectively coordinate activities and accomplish goals.
- Up to 50% travel in support of projects across our NA manufacturing network
- BS Degree (Electrical Engineering preferred)
- 3-5+ years of experience specifying and installing electrical equipment and automation controls in a heavy industrial manufacturing environment (sheeted process systems such as paper, steel, gypsum is preferred).
- Project Management Experience - Demonstrated capability for planning, budgeting, execution, scheduling, design and specification, procurement, installation oversight, and startup of electrical and controls equipment and instrumentation.
- Experience in troubleshooting and optimizing the performance of electrical control systems on continuous production machine systems
- Experience with computer network system installation and troubleshooting (preferred).
James Hardie is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability. Equal Employment Opportunity is the law.