The Vehicle Controls Engineer II will be a key member of the Current Product Engineering team, responsible for the development of the vehicle body controller algorithms for all future products. You will continue to be challenged to develop unique solutions for various controls problems from multiple domains including electrical, mechanical, and thermal. Become part of the team to develop the controls logic for the first in class zero emission bus. Assignments are broad in scope and highly complex that require outstanding creativity, superior initiative, good judgement, and leadership skill. This is a hands-on position.
This position reports to the Engineering Supervisor but may also get direction/guidance from senior engineers. This is a direct, full-time position with GILLIG.
• Body Control System
• Low Voltage Sensors and Actuators
• Vehicle Onboard Monitoring Systems
• Vehicle Distributed Control Systems
• Vehicle Control Communications Protocols
THE DAY TO DAY
• Collaborate with cross functional teams to develop customized algorithms for all sub-systems and components on the bus
• Implement the controls logic and functional checks in simulation as well as on the vehicle
• Develop functional requirements for the body controller, communication interface, diagnostics and fault detection for new development vehicles
• Develop deep understanding of the entire bus and how each component works
• Document revision control for all vehicle software throughout its lifecycle
• Work closely with low voltage and high voltage design engineers to define the communication protocol required for each sub-system and component
• Participate in DFMEA sessions to identify technical risks and reduce potential failure modes in the designs
• Responsible to bring up the first vehicle of a new bus application and prototype builds
• Train production support technicians and troubleshooters on the theory of operations and controls logic behind each sub-system and component
• Perform complex troubleshooting with on-site production support team and/or remote troubleshooting of issues with the field service team
• Data collection and analysis using CAN tools or telematics system to assist with troubleshooting issues in production and in the field
• Support the Validation team by developing test plans to ensure that the design has met all of the program requirements
• Work with Publication team to ensure the bus manuals are complete and accurately reflect the designs
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor work visas now or in the future
• Bachelor's Degree in Engineering plus a minimum of 3 years of progressive engineering experience in vehicle controls development
• Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot automotive electrical systems
• Comfortable working around low voltage and high voltage systems
• Experienced with:
o Ladder logic controls such as Allen-Bradley or Siemens PLC
o Software development using C/C++ or model development
o MATLAB, Simulink, and Stateflow chart
• Good understanding of:
o Open and closed loop control systems for electrical sensors, actuators, body controller, ECUs …etc
o Safety interlock loop
o Low voltage and high voltage systems design
• Familiarity with:
o Manufacturing processes and environment
o Heavy-Duty Transit Bus
o Automotive communication networks such as CAN-Bus, LIN, and Ethernet
o J1939/CAN tools such as CANalyzer, P-CAN, CANoe, etc.
o 8D, five whys, and fishbone process to diagnose complex issues
o Automotive components such as circuit breakers, relays, and wiring, etc
o Automotive industry standards such as FMVSSS, NHTSA, DOT, NFPA, SAE, NEC…etc
ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT
• Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
• Working environment is primarily indoors (office and production environment), however, at times may require time spent outdoors.
• Regularly required to sit, stand, and walk; occasionally kneel or squat.
• May be required to work overtime based on business needs
• Limited domestic travel
• Daily start time 6AM
GILLIG offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including 100% company-paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their families. Other benefits include a unique 401k profit-sharing plan. We are an equal opportunity employer that supports a drug-free workplace.
GILLIG is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer.