A respected of manufacturer of electro-mechanical industrial machinery is seeking a Manufacturing Engineer for its plant in Swindon.
The hours of work are Monday to Thursday 7.30 - 4.30pm and Friday (phone number removed)pm. The salary for this role is £30-£33 K, pension, 25 days annual holiday plus statutory holidays, free car parking and employee benefits platform.
Reporting to the Operations Director, you are a Manufacturing Engineer with personal responsibility for the specification, design, implementation and improvement of new and existing plant, process equipment and tooling.
Your goal is to eliminate process related non-conformities and improve operational productivity via innovative poke-yoke design, and practical realisation of reliable plant, equipment, jigs, fixtures and tooling. Review and reorganise existing production processes to accept these improvements reducing in-process non-value added operator activities.
1. Work collaboratively with the Production Engineers, Quality Engineers and Maintenance Engineers to identify and prioritise the modification or refurbishment of production equipment and tooling.
2. Utilise your knowledge and experience to design poke-yoke equipment and tooling to reduce defect risks.
3. Work collaboratively with Tool makers, engineers, and production engineering to realise designs, design new tooling, procure materials, and define timescales for new and existing tooling/machinery improvement projects
4. Take ownership of the tooling/machinery register and ensure that tooling and machinery is maintained to the required standards and stored in the locations as per the system.
5. Provide practical manufacturing engineering support and knowledge to the company's preventative maintenance program ensuring that the continuity of production is maintained as a priority and that production equipment and tooling in need of refurbishment is promptly addressed.
6. Design new systems, equipment, and processes for the introduction of new products as well as improving the existing processes within the business to eliminate defects within required timeframes.
7. Work collaboratively with the engineers within the business to ensure all product and system requirements are considered and accounted for from the initial product conception to the finished productionised product.
8. Investigate and install new equipment that is fit for purpose
9. liaise with suppliers as and when required
10. Identify faults, investigate production problems, and repair equipment quickly and efficiently
11. improve current operations wherever possible in conjunction with production management
12. organise plant start-up and shut-down schedules to ensure minimum loss of production time with minimal impact of effectiveness
13. Keep statistical records as required on performance, maintenance breakdowns
14. keep up to date with current and developing trends in the manufacturing industry, at a national and international level.
15. Generate capital expenditure requirements as and when required for new product introduction as well as replacement of equipment and tooling.
16. Actively drive Continuous improvement at the designated site.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
1. Experience of designing and problem solving equipment/ tooling in a mechanical assembly environment.
2. Practical experience of electrical, mechanical and pneumatic equipment design and build projects.
3. Demonstrated capability of Tool room equipment and its use - advantageous
4. High level capability to design tooling and fixtures.
5. Experience and knowledge of basic press tool design.
6. Recognised qualification in mechanical or manufacturing engineering (BSc. HND/HNC).
7. Organised, self-motivated and safety conscious.
8. AutoCAD and Microsoft Office literate.
9. Able to manage projects.
10. Hands on tooling engineering.
11. Continuous improvement experience
Key words: lean production lean manufacture lean manufacturing six sigma 6 sigma value engineering kaizen kaisen manufacturing improvement just in time 5s kanban takt time manufacturing engineer production engineer continuous improvement engineer manufacturing improvement DFM design for manufacture cell manufacturing tqm total quality management failure analysis non conformance process improvement 5 why Fault Tree Analysis Fish bone PFMEA quality engineer quality engineering qa engineer qa engineering quality assurance engineer root cause fracas failure reporting analysis fmea 5 why 8d poke yoke