Job Title: Senior Naval Architect
Location: Rosyth, Bristol or Plymouth + Hybrid working options available
Compensation: Competitive Salary + Benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF54381
At Babcock, we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Senior Naval Architect at our Bristol, Plymouth or Rosyth sites.
Babcock is rapidly establishing itself as an international Naval ship designer and builder. We have built on the success of the UK MoD Type-31 Frigate and have secured contracts for frigate export variants (AH140) with overseas customers. As well as supporting exports of frigates, the engineering team is actively working on other ship newbuild and life extension programs around the world, from small fast attack craft all the way up to aircraft carriers.
We are looking to significantly expand our engineering and ship design teams in order to exploit these opportunities and so if you are interested in taking your career in an exciting new direction then consider Babcock for your next move.
As a Senior Naval Architect, you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary. This is a highly prestigious position within our complex shipbuilding programme, developing designs through concept and early-stage design as well as supporting the bidding process. This role will provide you with the opportunity to deliver complex structural solutions within an exciting, interesting team environment. Each week will provide you with new challenges that will test your skills and knowledge.
Day-to-day, you'll be responsible for authoring, reviewing and substantiating marine designs through calculations, simulations, commissioning and diagnostic test support. You will contribute and lead product development throughout the design lifecycle and provide technical support to our key customers, ensuring efficient and effective delivery of engineering outputs. You will act as Technical Authority and have deep subject knowledge of an aspect of marine engineering.
- Substantiation reports/designs for installation solutions.
- Preparation and production of substantiation reports for marine solutions throughout the entire design lifecycle phases (Concept, Basic, Functional, Detail, Manufacturing, Installation and Decommissioning), in line with recognised standards and to the required time, cost and quality requirements.
- Liaising with design teams and other stakeholders throughout the design lifecycle to ensure coordination and functionality of system designs, including supporting design reviews.
- Develop innovative design solutions with robust engineering substantiation.
- Provide solutions to manufacturing and installation issues by assisting in the resolution of technical and production queries.
- Produce technical reports and other documentation.
At Babcock, we have a history of helping talent go far. With our track record of innovation, you will continually develop your knowledge and expertise in an interesting and rewarding environment.
Essential experience of the Senior Naval Architect:
- Proven structural design experience from a highly regulated industry.
- Experience with appropriate analytical software such as stability software (Paramarine, NAPA, FORAN, Maxsurf), FEA, CFD and/or CAD.
- Experience of contributing to design reviews.
This is a permanent position, working Monday to Friday. We offer flexible working to give people more options to better integrate their work and personal life, whilst ensuring that business needs are met. This role provides flexible working with office attendance and travel to meet project requirements. We are happy to discuss this with you in more detail.
Qualifications for the Senior Naval Architect:
- Ideally Degree qualified but HND/HNC level qualification in an engineering discipline with extensive experience in relevant field will be considered.
- Ideally you will be a member of a relevant institution (e.g. RINA, IET, IMechE, IMarEst etc.) and hold Chartered or Incorporated status (or be working towards).
- Either already UK Security cleared or able for achieve UK SC clearance.
- Generous holiday allowance
- Matched contribution pension scheme, with life assurance
- Employee share scheme
- Employee shopping savings portal
- Payment of Professional Fees
- Reservists in the armed forces receive 10-days special paid leave
- Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows the majority of employees to buy additional leave or to sell up to one working week of annual leave from their annual entitlement
- 'Be Kind Day' enables employees to take one working day's paid leave a year (or equivalent hours) to undertake volunteering work with their chosen organisation or registered charity
For over a century, Babcock International have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We're committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.